Monday 17 August 2009

One More Sleep!

It's only a quick update tonight as I have been pressed for time all day long. There has been so much to do today to make sure that I am ready for the journey but I have been lucky enough to have my brother, Rich, and my friend, Nathan, around to help me. The stroller is now all packed and ready to go and Roman seems happy enough walking in it's presence. The only thing left for me to do now is get a bath and get to bed - I could really do with a good night's sleep before the journey begins.

I have decided that it will be best for Roman to stay behind for a while until his paws are healed enough for him to join me. Nathan will be bringing him down with him when he drives down to Dover to take us over on the ferry. It's going to be really strange to not have Roman around and I reckon it could be a lonely couple of weeks until I see him again. I'm sure he will miss me too - whenever I had to work away he just used to sit by the back door waiting for me to come back!

Whilst I am on my way to Dover Rich and Nathan have agreed to take Roman out on the fields by my house so that he is exercised but without the risk of further abrasion to his paws. They are getting better and the infected areas seem to be scabbing a little more now where as previously they just looked raw all the time. I still feel cruel putting the lampshade thing over his head but at least I know that it is helping.

I can't believe that it's time to leave already. It seemed like it was ages away when I handed my notice in at work - that was almost three months ago now but the time has gone so quickly. The last three months have really flown by and I have really enjoyed the preparation time. I just hope that I am prepared enough for the walk ahead. I'm sure I will be fine but I can't help but think that I have forgotten something. I'm sure I have forgotten loads but I'm sure that I will find my way.

I will be up nice and early tomorrow morning to get ready to head into Chester for the big send off. I never received a return call from Granada Reports so I am not sure whether or not they are coming out. They seemed to be quite positive about it and they originally covered the story a few weeks back so I am hoping that they will be there. I have received a message from somebody from the Chester Evening Leader to say that he will be out to have a chat and take a few photos.

I really don't know what to expect tomorrow morning and I am not really sure what will happen. I suppose it is a chance for me to get together with a few people and say goodbye to them all properly. I'm not sure how it will go but I am sure we will find our way as the morning unfolds.

Anyway, that's about all for tonight and I think my next update will probably not be for a week or so. Wish me luck, I'm sure I'll need it!

2 comments:

  1. Hey there Matt, you don't know me, I post on the dugout as Bluenose, but my real name is Stu and I've been following your progress for a while, and I just wanted to say good luck. I think it is a really great thing you are doing, and I would love to do something similar one day. Hell, if I lived near you, I'd offer to go with you :p. Anyway, I hope you get to read this before you set off tomorrow, just so you know that at least 1 person reads your page. Good luck my friend, I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible for you.

    All the best, Stu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Stu

    Thanks for the comment mate, I really appreciate the support! I am currently sat in a McDonald's using their free wi-fi!! Hopefully will be able to do this a few times along the way - saves paying in an internet cafe!!!

    Matt

    ReplyDelete